Monday 12 September 2016

Favourite New (to me) Beer - July/August 2016

Another couple of months have come and gone and just like every other time I've sat down to write one of these posts I've been lucky enough to try a huge amount of damn awesome beers. The quantity of quality beers in Brisbane right now is just outstanding.

Being winter there were a bunch of dark beers (namely imperial stouts) that I hadn't had before that I really loved. The one that took the cake was a bit of a white whale of mine. I've seen Black Eyed King Imp on social media a lot, so what I heard it was available in Brisbane I jumped at the chance to pick up a bottle.


Probably the most expensive beer I've ever bought ($/ml) but it was worth it. Black Eyed Kind Imp Vietnamese Coffee Edition by BrewDog is a 12.7% imperial stout with coffee and vanilla. I was expecting this to be a huge flavour bomb but it was much more balanced and refined than that, and super drinkable.

A few notable inclusions to the list of awesome beers in the past few months.


Blaecorn Unidragon by Clown Shoes. Very rich and thick, almost velvety with dark chocolate, dried fruits and bitter hop flavours. A beast of a beer at 12.5% ABV and in a giant bottle too. I drank this one solo.


Brouhaha Passionfruit IPA. Brouhaha is a relatively new brewery on the Sunshine Coast (QLD) and had a tap takeover/launch at Brewski in July. In the picture is the Passionfruit IPA and the normal IPA (I can't recall which is which). Both were good but the addition of the passionfruit to the former made it interesting and something different. The team from the brewery were there on the day too, friendly and informative bunch. Looking forward to visiting in October.



Lastly, Milk and Two Pineapples, a collaboration between Newstead Brewing Co and Brewcult. It's an American IPA with pineapple juice and lactose. I was expecting it to be very sweet but it wasn't. The pineapple and lactose were there but not fighting with the hoppyness of the IPA. Instead they helped elevate it to something special. Drink local, drink fresh.

September is going to be another awesome month. Next weekend is Beer InCider, and the weekend after a sweet barrel aged event at Bloodhound Bar. Already had a bunch of awesome beers this month that I'm looking forward to writing about in October.

Thanks for reading, and as always, drink well.
-BeerFoodBrisbane



No comments:

Post a Comment